- Thrive when given the space to bring a nimble, creative approach to solving the thorniest problems;
- Enthusiastically tackle tasks big and small; and
- Inevitably wind up talking about public policy at parties.
Communications & Engagement Specialist
Public Works Partners seeks a creative thinker with sharp visual and oral communication skills, who gets excited about delivering effective messages through strong writing and storytelling. The Communications & Engagement Specialist will play a significant role in building the firm’s profile with our public, nonprofit and urban planning clients, as well as contribute to the conceptualization and implementation of dynamic public engagement strategies for client engagements. The ideal candidate is a proactive self-starter with a very strong ownership mindset who is comfortable working on visual-heavy projects with tight timeframes, able to adapt quickly and work in a dynamic environment, and has a keen eye for detail.
- Excellent written and critical thinking skills necessary for drafting responsive, client-driven proposals and presentations.
- Strong creative design and analytical skills, and the ability to synthesize information from multiple sources into engaging corporate communication strategy through blog posts, email newsletters, and social media posts.
- Experience supporting internal and external outreach efforts. Contribute to developing and implementing outreach strategy by building outreach lists, forming audience insights, and developing messaging.
- Ability to drive business visibility and development. Manage marketing calendar, including researching award, event, and speaking opportunities.
- Experience leading community management. Serve as a community manager for Public Works’ social media channels and draft social content.
- Experience developing strategy on project-specific marketing activities. Coordinate production of project marketing support materials.
- Bachelor’s degree with 1-2 years of communications, marketing, design management, or business development experience in an agency, consultancy, startup, or nonprofit.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and AdWords, social media analytics, Mailchimp, WordPress.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign) to create reusable templates and data visualizations.
Preferred qualifications (candidates would ideally have at least one):
- Experience in public and/or nonprofit sector, particularly in New York City and State
- Experience working on community and public engagement strategies and activities
- Familiarity with user-centered and human-centered design strategies and activities
- Experience with B2B marketing and communications
- Ability to use GIS to conduct spatial analysis
- Fluency in one of the ten New York City languages: Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Bengali, Haitian Creole, Korean, Arabic, Urdu, French, and Polish
This position is based at the Public Works Partners office in New York City. In-town travel and to other parts of New York State may be required. This is a full-time position, with an immediate start date.
To apply for this position, send your resume, cover letter, and 1 writing sample to email@example.com and indicate you are applying for the Communications & Engagement Assistant position in the email subject line.
Public Works Partners is a management consulting firm serving mission-driven organizations in the public, nonprofit and private sectors. We assist leaders in identifying and implementing innovation in their organizations. We help sharpen focus on key challenges, develop strategic solutions to pressing issues, and improve service delivery to organizations’ clients. We specialize in program design and implementation, organizational and financial development, economic and financial analysis, project management and business process re-engineering. Our approach is tailored to each organization’s unique circumstances, and we field project teams with the right mix of skills and experience to match each client’s precise needs.
Our clients benefit from our deep experience at the nexus of public policy, strategic management, and program operations, as well as our work across a range of policy areas from economic development to public health to human services. Our principals have run programs and led organizations with a strong track record of building capacity, establishing accountability, and producing results.
This job description is for an at-will position which is non-exempt under the FLSA. Public Works Partners provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment regardless of their age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, partnership status, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence status, sex offense of stalking victim status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws.