Summer in New York City is special. From heat waves to a seemingly endless stream of tourists, it can be a frustrating and uncomfortable time to be in the City. Yet, New York also comes alive in the summer as life moves outdoors. With events like outdoor movies and concerts, the City’s Open Streets program, and the many beaches and public parks that make up New York City’s natural spaces all providing needed respites from the heat, there are nearly unlimited options for summer activities in the City if you know where to look.
And lucky for you, the Public Works team does know where to look. As committed and enthusiastic New Yorkers, we take pride in knowing the secret spots, tips, and tricks to make the most of the warm weather and long days. Looking for the best air conditioning in the City? Try a museum (we love the Natural History Museum, Friday nights at the Whitney, and the Met). Need something fun to do after work? Head to a summer concert or movie, or take dance lessons by the Hudson River. We’ve compiled details on these recommendations and more in an interactive map so you can enjoy summer in New York City the Public Works way.
- Aurelia’s favorite sunny day spot is located in Central Park and has the Upper West Side skyline as its backdrop!
- Every summer Amairani looks forward to barbecuing with her family and enjoying some carne asadas!
- Bebe’s favorite ice cream spot is the Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. She recommends the sesame ice cream!
- Celeste’s favorite after work activity during the summer is going to outdoor music events like SummerStage in Central Park!
- Jake’s favorite coffee shop is Hamlet Coffee Company.
- When Benjamin needs serious AC, he heads to the American Museum of Natural History.
- For swimming, Public Works’ staff recommends Rockaway Beach.
- Prospect Park is a favorite among the Public Works’ team!
Click around in the map above to find the activities different Public Works team members look forward to each summer.